Sunday 31 October 2010

The Video Activist Handbook. By Thomas Harding.

I bought this book at the beginning of the summer and it has been really helpful for this project.
It goes through a brief history of video activism, choosing equipment,even down to the ethics of video equipment manufacturers. For e.g. Fuji, according to this book has a triangle underneath oppressive regimes, the triangle meaning "Quite bad" Samsung has a square underneath environmental policy meaning "very bad" It doesn't go into details but I guess this is also something to take into consideration when purchasing equipment and something I will look into further.
Getting started chapter was extremely helpful for practical hands on advice I took a lot of notes and marked lots of pages. e.g.

Novice video activists tend to take short shots, pan and zoom a great deal, and cut in and out of music with unwatchable results. It is much better to separate the shooting or production phase from the editing or post production phase. With this in mind the aim of a video activist is to gather as much material as possible- within the scope of the projects general aims- giving the editor as much choice as possible later on in the edit suite.
Getting good images page 49

Even though I new and read this before going out filming I still made these mistakes a lot!

The book tells you about composition and holding the camera steady and correctly which I did take note of but on the evening of filming we were on the back of the tricycle which was essentially a moving trampoline! It was difficult to keep the camera steady!

The Rule of thirds

White balance

Interviews - This was something I had planed on doing but I didn't get round to again on the day I was going to ask some friends to come and ask a few people questions whilst I filmed. I noted that asking open ended questions is the way to go questions that can't be answered 'yes' or 'no' to.
I also found this piece of text interesting with regards to interviews;

A key task for the video activist is to select interviewees carefully. The mainstream media overwhelmingly tend to give voice to the white middle-class section of society. As a video activist, therefore, you should strive to find interviewees to redress the traditional biases of the media. You must search out the 'woman who doesn't like being interviewed' in the group, and 'the old guy who gets a bit angry at times.' Don't limit yourself to the person who usually gets to give the sound bites to the local news. If you do this, you'll widen the skills gap within the group, and may miss the more authentic and passionate voices.
Page 59.

I have still to finish reading this book and still tons to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment