Friday 15 October 2010

Animator case study.

Animator: Andy
This Case Study belongs to Animator.

Andy has been working as an animator for the last three years. Prior to this, he studied for a two-year HND in animation at university, topping up in the final third year to obtain a degree in animation studies.

In my final year at university, about four months before graduation, I was proactive and approached employers about work opportunities. I had done my research and identified about half a dozen companies to target. I sent each one a:

covering letter introducing myself and explaining that I was about to graduate and available for work
CV;
show reel, which is a visual portfolio of work. I included in the show reel some of my final year projects, even though they were still works in progress (which I explained in my covering letter).
Getting work experience is very important. When I was at university, I worked for free in order to gain experience. My first big break came when I volunteered to help as holiday cover. They were pleased with my work, which led to paid work. After three months, I became a trainee animator, and within six months came another promotion to junior animator. All companies are different, however, and have different levels and criteria for animator status and promotion.

I work on sets with puppets in front of cameras every day. People don’t realise it but for every second of film, there are 24 frames and it is my responsibility to change the subject matter for every shot. Other companies have different techniques for presenting the frames, some work on 12 frames per second, others 24. The industry is very diverse and always interesting to adapt to. Animators are typically given a target of a certain number of seconds to shoot every day.

I really enjoy my job. The work is varied and never boring. There is always something new to figure out and the constant challenge to make puppets’ actions look realistic. I especially get pleasure from seeing my work on TV, for example Roary on Channel 5’s Milkshake and Fifi on Nickelodeon Jr. It is incredibly gratifying to see all the work come together seamlessly and the animation come to life.

It is too early to say what I will be doing in the future, but there are several options I could consider. These include work on a feature film, work abroad in order to learn how other countries approach animation or possibly teaching.

My advice to students is to get as much work experience as possible. When dealing with animation companies, try not to be shy but not too pushy either. Send companies letters and show reels and if you don’t receive a reply, don’t take it personally. Instead, persevere by writing again or give a quick courtesy ring to ask if they have received it. It is acceptable to contact the same company a few times. Finally, make some enquiries and send your show reel to the right person.

Case Study sourced by Tammy Goldfeld of University of Manchester, 24 April 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment