Sunday 31 October 2010

Alright on the night?!?

I played around with the camera in the van on the way to Manchester adjusting the shutter speed and trying to set the white balance but lack the technical knowledge and confidence so ended up doing it in automatic anyway.

I learned a lot anyway recording footage was really hard even though I have filmed before and even after reading about it. I have never filmed so much action and moving before. I knew that I should and shouldn't do certain things and yet because everything was happening so fast I ended up doing them any way Zooming in and out, and not keeping the camera on things for long enough to get a decent shot that doesn't make the viewer queasy. There were a lot of shots I couldn't get because I was on the back of the tricycle and I couldn't get off because I wouldn't of been able to keep up on foot. In this instance it would of definitely helped to have had two people filming.. Perhaps one like Janice had said on a vesper or something but then some of the critical mass lot would of really disapproved of a motorized vehicle following along and would of actively blocked us off as they did with all the other traffic on the road!

A lot of fun was had it was an amazing event and I have learned a lot. I just hope that there is enough footage to make a 5 min video for Janice :/ and in all honesty, I filmed for an hour and may still struggle to get that 5 min video together! Eek! But on the plus side I had a good chat with Janice and she told me how she came about doing this in Manchester as she isn't the original Papergirl but that she met up with her a few times and was involved in Papergirl Berlin and papergirl New York and got her help with organizing the event and she would love to set up another one with us in Leeds which would be fun. Even the possibility of filming a naked bike ride in the future too!

Oh I did get to ride a bike home too :)

Also before the event, I though, it doesn't really matter about technical know how its not about that, I just wanted to record these events to inform people. But it does matter really because I want to do the event justice and although for the viewer they are not there and will not know how it feels to be there, I do want them to get as much of a feeling of being there as possible so that they may next time get involved too instead of watching the video.

I need to find or get together a group of people that are interested in doing these events together perhaps to get more varied footage for the edit. I would of helped a lot to of had another 1 or 2 people filming.

So.. next things next.... To the edit suite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment