Thursday 18 November 2010

Send and receive contact has been made at last!

I had emailed Leeds Asylum seekers suport network ages ago and my email got passed around people at the network they then emailed me back to discuss or find out exactly what I wanted to do.

Hello Mas,

thank you for getting back to me. I wondered if I could just come in and have a chat with someone initially just get an understanding of what you do there. I am interested in helping to overcome some of the negative press that we are starting to foster around asylum seekers at the moment it this country. I'm not sure exactly what I would like to do at the moment, I would like to gain a better understanding of what you do and why and also who you help and where those people come from. I have been doing a little bit of everything, photography, film, posters, books and animation. I was hoping to come down and have a chat a look around if thats possible and then take it from there?

Hope to speak with you again soon.

Tahra.

Hello Tahra

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I have made some enquiries and think that it would be good for you to attend one of the Press Gang meetings organised by Richie McAndrew, Manager at LASSN.
These meetings are normally held once a month and the next one is on Thursday 25th November at 6.30pm at the One Community Centre, 1 Cromwell Street, Leeds, LS9 7SG.

If this date and time is not good for you, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Mas




Since then I have also been sent an invitation to a conference that I didn't manage to attend but I went to the meeting with the organisers afterwards. I wasn't sure what the meeting would be about but I really wanted to go to the conference and was gutted I didn't get myself together enough to go, so made sure I got to this one. This is the mail sent out after the conference..

Greetings from Schumacher North!

And thank you for your participation in the 2010 Leeds Schumacher Conference. We hope you agree it was a worthwhile and enjoyable day, with something approaching 100 conversations on creating a society Beyond Consumerism; we will be most interested to hear your detailed feedback on what was good and what we could have done better; see below.

We want to keep up the momentum and begin to translate the ideas into action - here are three places to start, please get involved in whatever way appeals to you:

1. Schumacher North Website - this will be receiving a major overhaul over the next few weeks, and we intend to include the fullest possible facilities to take forward the conference conversations online. We will create discussion forums based on all of the World Cafe questions, workshops, and Open Space conversations. We will include a section for conference feedback and suggestions for next year's conference and for other events. And there will also be a gallery of photographs to help recreate the atmosphere of the day.

Please visit the website after this Wednesday when we will have put up the post-Conference information and participate in the forums (you will need to register on the site in order to do this if you have not already done so, and to wait up to 1 day till your registration is confirmed.)

2. Annual Gathering - This is your opportunity to input into plans for Schumacher North's development, contribute ideas, connect with other conference attendees and SN members and friends and have a good time as well! The gathering will take place at Swarthmore Education Centre, 27 Woodhouse Square, Leeds LS3 1AD, from 6-9 p.m. on Wednesday November 17. Food and drink will be provided, if you would like to bring a contribution to share that would be much appreciated.

3. Membership, involvement, support - We do need your support to keep Schumacher North going, expand our activities and take forward the vision of a sustainable, fair and fulfilling way of life that we believe to be the future.

As a member of Schumacher North you will receive regular updates on our activities and discount prices at selected events - we hope also to offer reciprocal membership with Schumacher UK and an annual free copy of the latest Schumacher Briefing. We will also put you in touch with a local Schumacher North group where this exists, or offer support and help to start one if you wish. A membership form is attached - if you would like to join please fill it in and return it by post or email to the address below.

We also need volunteers to help with administration, planning and publicity, etc. - if you are interested please let us know what area you are interested in helping with wand what skills, etc., you can offer. We will be posting a 'wish list' on the website shortly.

Finally, but very importantly, if you are in a position to support us financially at whatever level, this is hugely important. Please think about making a donation to support our work, we promise to use your money to maximum effect!

Best wishes,

David Midgley




I couldn't stay for the entire meeting but chatted with a few people and they were all very lovely. I was on my own and quite nervous and uncomfortable because I didn't know anyone, but they came over and talked to me and made me feel welcome.
There was a retired lady who was a child therapist for 25 years, lovely lady. She said her job was to "normalize children in an insane world" I think those were her words... she didn't really enjoy her work and I could see in her eyes as she was thinking and telling me about it that they were not fond memories. They brought and shared food before the meeting and then went on to discus the conference which I hadn't attended!! So I just sat and listened. I took notes on names of speakers that people had enjoyed. They then wanted peoples ideas of what didn't work so well and what would be good for the next event. They discussed themes for the next event and finally decided to keep the same theme "beyond Consumerism." I listed to what everyone had said and then we had a break but from what other people had said I had a few ideas myself and put them to the Matt during the break. Also I offered help with publicity and documenting the event which they all said was a shame they hadn't done. They seemed really enthusiastic and took my details and then I ran off for my bus! I did tell them I am just learning but willing to help out in any way I can. They also mentioned a story that had been told at the conference which everyone had loved, one of the women mentioned that it would be nice to have it animated.. so although I have only done 13 seconds of animation I said I would love to have a go!! eek!! Well anyway we will see... S'all good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment