Thursday 4 November 2010

Music video.

one of the other little projects I was going to give myself to do was to go over some footage I shot last year of my friends performing one of their songs for me to make a video for them which I never got to do. I had not analysed the filming. The group I was with took it off me to make a video for the video elective, to do the edit, as I had done the filming. I really didn't like the edit they had done, so I am going to try again with the editing.

Looking back on it now I can see lots of mistakes that i have made as the person holding the camera and also being essentially the director too. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do. I had done a very short minimal storyboard. But we quickly ran out of ideas and ended up just trying stuff in the hope that it would work. I payed no attention to the rule of thirds and some of the shots were not interesting to the eye. I got lots of wide shots and very few close up. Should maybe run through things a couple of times focusing first on wide shots then on close ups. I can see this now knowing a little more than I did last year. I think it is extremely important to have a good storyboard and a firm idea of the shots you need and get it right before you get to the actual filming. Luckily these were friends and didn't mind too much helping me out with a project because had I been with people I didn't know, clients for example they would of been bored expecting much more direction and generally known that I didn't have a clue what I was doing and never hired me again!

There are however a couple of bits that look ok. So I am going to experiment with them to see if I can get her something together.

I'm learning though!

No comments:

Post a Comment