Monday 1 November 2010

Post Production.

I spent the day asking Matt Burton Questions in the edit suite downstairs today. Still not on the camera but just to remind myself exactly of how to do the post production stuff. Also to ask about improving the quality of the video he explained and showed me a few things I can do which I will explain as and when I am doing them.

This is what I did today and started trimming the clips I captured, but after a good 4 hours looking at the screen I decided to get myself home as I was getting frustrated and fidgety. Not that I wasn't enjoying it, I was.

Logging and capturing in final cut pro.

Final cut pro/system settings

Click set for video drive

Click set for Auto save Vault

Final cut pro/easy set up

Choose recording format

File/new project

file/save as


I made the mistake of filming in D.V. rather than H.D.

H.D. = High-definition video

D.V. = Digital video

Yet again these terms I do not know..well I know what they stand for but I do not know about them so I searched and found a few articles .

HD vs DV
HD or High Definition is the emerging standard that is beginning to replace older screens that can only show standard definition video. Standard definition screens can only display 480 rows of pixels while HD screens can either have 720 or 1080 rows of pixels. HD can also refer to the format that the recorded video is encoded in since you would need a video source that conforms to the HD standard in order to benefit from it. DV is an acronym for Digital Video. This is the replacement for older analog video recording and storage techniques that were once used to produce the Betamax and VHS videos.
Digital Video was developed with the aim of improving the often problematic analog videos at that time. Analog video like those recorded in Hi8 and Video8 usually exhibit poor video quality which made it unsuitable for any other purpose except home videos. DV allowed professional level video recording in a small an inexpensive camera, which made it an instant favorite for hobbyists and field reporters who want high quality videos.

HD did not do as well as DV at first since it had to solve a lot of problems before it became a marketable product. The problem with HD was that you needed to have everything in HD, from the recording to the TV screen, in order to actually see a difference but both viewers and broadcasters were unwilling to invest their money without instant gratification, that’s why it took quite a while.



The choice of recording in HD or SD is up to the person using the camera if he has a DV camera that supports recording in HD. But if you want to record in HD, you’ve got no choice but to use DV since HD in analog does not exist anymore. Using analog systems to broadcast HD quality video was tried during the early days of HD, but it was soon scrapped in favor of DV due to multiple problems; one of which is the very high bandwidth requirements.

Summary:
1. HD is a recent standard for TV screens and video media while DV is a type of video storage where the data is stored as digital information
2. DV was adopted rather easily by the general public while HD underwent a lot of changes before it become viable
3. Digital video can either be in HD or SD while HD videos are strictly digital videos





Then looking at some discussion boards I'm finding it confusing as to which is the best quality. It seems it depends on what you want it for. But it also says on one of them that once you have been through post production and burned your D.V.D the quality is around the same...So maybe H.D. is really more to for cinema use or for rich folks with big fancy T.V's? Maybe it's not necessary at all, maybe it's just another bigger is better, newer is better, buy more stuff, thing that business out to make money would have us believe.

Ok just watched this and I can't tell any difference at all.

http://vimeo.com/756517

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment